The farm, now known as Chestermere Hereford Stock Farm, was originally purchased in 1903 by James Hughes, Sr.
In 1917, Jim (J.A.) Hughes’ purchased a group of pedigreed Polled Hereford heifers from Sam Downie of Carstairs. They were sired by Jamacion 23149 who was one of the first Polled Hereford bulls imported to Canada. Polled Bruce 36746, purchased in 1919, was the first Polled bull used in the herd.
For a time, Jim and his brother Wallace operated Hughes Brothers, then as J.A. Hughes and Son, then again as J.A. Hughes. Over that time, Jim raised and sold both pedigreed Polled Herefords, and later Horned Herefords until his retirement in 1976.
In 1960, a few cows were moved to Chestermere, Alberta to start the herd for Jim’s daughter Phyllis and Dave Bricker. In 1976, the herd was relocated back to the original Didsbury farmsite where it continues today.
Dad, Grampa Bricker, and Uncle Art 1960
Del Rancho Lighter 8V - Dad’s first Polled Bull - 1960’s
BMO - Farm Family Award 2012
Alexa with her 4-H steer 2012
Alexa and Kyle
Alexa with her Reserve Champion 4-H steer 2013
Alexa with CHSF 52U Lady Hope 6X - 2011
Dad and Uncle Art Bricker 1950’s
Grampa Hughes 1930’s
Grampa Hughes 1970’s
One of Grampa’s yearlings - 1962
31023 Range Road 35
R R 1 Didsbury
Alberta, T0M 0W0
Chestermere Hereford Stock Farm established 1961